Protein is important in increasing muscle tone & losing weight.
“Protein is made up of various amino acids. In terms of weight loss, scientists are finding that the most important amino acids are the branch chain amino acids, especially leucine. If you get your protein intake high enough, especially in proteins that are rich in leucine, a number of very interesting things happen that can activate a sluggish metabolism and result in weight loss.”
In addition, protein helps to increase metabolism. In order to boost your metabolism while eating a high protein diet, you must also reduce the amount of carbohydrates you consume. The more carbs you consume, the more your body craves them – VERY BAD! Also, protein aids the body as a natural diuretic. This is important because it helps the body to release water and reduce inflammation. Inflammation is causes many illnesses in the body, particularly cardiovascular disease and obesity.
1. Lean meat
2. Boiled eggs
Read more: http://www.wellnessresources.com/tips/articles/how_protein_helps_weight_loss/
- Protein: What You Need to Know. (fitnessknowsnolimits.com)
- High Protein Foods List (answers.com)
- Safe Ways to Increase Your Metabolism (belmarrahealth.com)
- High-protein diet ‘may help some people lose weight’ (todayonline.com)
- High-Protein Diet May Help Some People Shed Pounds (nlm.nih.gov)
- Benefits of Whey protein (pronutritionblog.wordpress.com)
- Protein 101: What You Need To Know (dietriffic.com)
- Protein Anyone? (sleeverjourney.wordpress.com)
2 thoughts on “Protein and Weight Loss”
I’m up with protein intake each day: 67g! Still ….calcium needs a little work and I make it happen using Centrum Multivitamins. It’s the only way for now when I’m on a strict $30/week food budget.
Good for you! Keep in mind that you need 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight. Make sure you are getting all that your body needs!