It’s that time of year, #flu/cold season is upon us. How do you stay well? I’ve learned to incorporate many foods, herbs, and spices into my diet, which along with regular #exercise, keeps my immune system up and running well. It is extremely important to me to support my #immune #health due to my #colitis. Catching a cold or the flu will only make my condition become active or worsen. I’m all about staying in remission, because active #colitis is no joke.
Below are my top 10:
- Bone broth / chicken broth – great for a bedtime snack. Broth, alone, is actually packed with all the essential amino acids that the body needs. Aids is recovery for many internal illnesses.
- Garlic and onions – many people take garlic pills, which are more potent than simply crushing and consuming a small bulb of fresh garlic.
- Citrus fruits – I buy frozen fruit and mix them in my protein shakes.
- Ginger – great for warming up the body and fighting colds instantly
- Fermented Foods – yogurt, kefir, etc.
- Cold-water fish – a protein-rich food
- Sweet potatoes – a great complex carb for after your workout. I eat one a day. LOVE THEM!
- Mushrooms – great alone as a side dish (which is my favorite way to eat them) or mixed with your green vegetables
- Brazil nuts – I grew up on these. My parents always kept nuts in the house.
- Pumpkin seeds / sunflower seeds – great for the gut as well.